The period from December to mid-February is a time when tomatoes are relatively cheap and in plenty supply in the major markets around Nigeria.
Tomatoes are used in many households to prepare paste and stews for delicacies like white rice, jollof rice, white yam, porridge, soups and many others meals. If you are a tomato lover you might want to extend your enjoyment of sumptuous tomato stews beyond the season of plenty into the season when it is in short supply.
You can preserve your blended tomatoes to last for more than a month without putting it in a refrigerator or warming it regularly by following the steps below:
- Wash your fresh tomatoes to your taste.
- Pour it in a pot and add little salt and water. Steam it for just three minutes.
- Remove all tomatoes from water and blend it.
- Boil your blended tomatoes to allow its water content to evaporate to your taste. (It is advisable to let it thicken.)
- Pour the tomato paste into a container made of glass which you can cover very well (e.g. an empty mayonnaise glass container with cover). Close the glass container very well.
- Put your tomato paste in covered glass container inside a pot with little water and heat for two minutes to warm the glass container and its content.
- Now you can store your tomato paste wherever you want.
You are advised to consume your tomato paste within 6 weeks.
This method comes in handy if you want to buy tomato in bulk cheaply and consume it little by little over 6 weeks.
Oh, you can also order your smoked and dried catfish from Divine Fish Farm which will also retain its great taste and nutritional value after 6 weeks. Dried catfish gives stews a distinct traditional taste.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: +234-8077776861, Website: www.divinefish.com.ng