If you want to treat yourself, friends or family to a delicious and nutritious meal with ogbono soup cooked with dried catfish then here is one tried and tested recipe that would keep everyone asking for more. This recipe will make a pot of soup.
- Palm oil juice from 1 derica of palm nuts (banga or akwu)
- Ground ogbono (1 milk cup of ogbono seeds)
- Meat (beef or goat meet parboiled with thyme, onions and salt)
- 3 pieces of dried catfish (tear to pieces, wash by soaking in hot water for 5 minutes, and picking the fish out of the water)
- Ground dried pepper (4 teaspoonfuls)
- Diced onions
- Ground crayfish (4 teaspoonfuls)
- Salt to taste
- Sliced vegetables (okazi and uziza)
The timing in the method described here assumes you are using gas cooker on standard burn. Adjust appropriately if you are using a slower burner like kerosene stove. Boil the palm nuts and hand-wash to squeeze out oil juice using about 3 liters of water. Use a pot big enough that the 3 litres is not more than half-full in the pot.
- 00:00 minutes (mins): Pour the 3 litres of oil palm juice in a pot, put on your gas cooker and light the cooker.
- 00:03 mins: The oil palm juice would just be warming. Gradually pour in the ground ogbono and stir gently with cooking spoon so that the ogbono dissolves without forming balls. Leave to boil. Stir at intervals of 4 minutes to prevent ogbono sticking to, and burning at the bottom of the pot.
- 00:13 mins: Pour in your parboiled meat and stock. Stir.
- 00:22 mins: Add your dried catfish. Add ground dried pepper. Stir.
- 00:29 mins: Add crayfish, onions and salt. Stir.
- 00:33 mins: Add vegetables. Stir.
- 00:36 mins: Stir and put out the fire.
- Soup is ready.
You can eat the soup with your choice swallow. Common swallows that go with ogbono soup are fufu, eba, pounded yam, white amala, semovita, wheat meal.
Ogbono soup is a delicacy among the peoples of the southern parts of Nigeria. If you need further explanations on how to cook your ogbono soup with dried catfish feel free to send us a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +2348077776861. You can also comment below. You will be replied as soon as possible.
Click here for how to wash your dried catfish before cooking with it.